What is the Life Story Project?
The Life Story Project has been funded by the Big Lottery Project for five years- beginning in April 2013 and due to end in March 2018.
The project has worked with Children and Young People aged 8-20 who are in Care, Post Care or who have been Adopted , and who have had questions about their lives and experiences, in the past and in the present. The project has worked to help the child/young person to fill in the gaps in their personal history and to talk about their memories, both positive and negative.
The Life Story Project has met its aims for those young people:
- To provide the child/young person with relevant information about their birth family
- To support the child/young person to understand their past experiences
- To empower carers/adoptive parents to use the Life Story book
- To facilitate opportunities for the child/young person to build on their self-esteem
- To help the child/young person make sense of their identity
The Life Story work has provided each child with information about his/her past and helped him/her to understand this information through:
- Creative play
- Specially designed activity sheets
- Visits to significant locations
- Arts & Crafts
- Digital media
The Life Story worker has completed a ‘story’ from the information gathered during the work, and produced a record of the work in a format chosen by the child/young person such as a book, DVD or digital Life Story.
The Life Story project has accepted referrals from children and young people from across Northern Ireland who have been referred by their local Looked After Children’s Services, Adoption Teams, Voluntary Agencies, and who have referred themselves.
As the Life Story Project is due to end in March 2018 and is still holding significant Waiting Lists in many areas, the Project is now closed to new referrals
The Project intends to complete work with those children and young people already waiting for a service, and we are hopeful that the Project can be re-funded following completion of this five year phase
Address: Life Story Project, c/o Family Care Adoption Services,
97 Malone Avenue, Belfast, County Antrim, BT9 6EQ